AIA Houston Historic Resources Committee Speaker Series - June
June 23, 2022
6:00 PM - 7:30 PM
902 Commerce St.
Houston, TX 77002
Brought to you by the Historic Resources
SAVE THE DATE!
Thursday, June 23
Join AIA Houston Historic Resources Committee Speaker Series
- Anna Mod is the Director Historic Tax Credits for the Houston office of MacRostie Historic Advisors, a Ryan Company
- Kerry Goelzer AIA, Associate Consultant for MacRostie Historic Advisors, a Ryan Company
- Brandon Roberts, Project Manager, Lovett Commercial
- Tom Bett, Project Manager, Lovett Commercial
Title: Printhouse: Transforming a Blighted Property into a Community Asset
AIA Credit: 1.0 HSW/LU
Location: Architecture Center Houston, 902 Commerce, Houston, TX
Houston’s EaDo (East Downtown) neighborhood historically was a mixed area of industrial and late nineteenth and early twentieth century residential neighborhoods. Many of the railroads that fed into Union Station (now Minute Maid Park) had spurs serving these light industrial areas on the east side. Houston Post was one such industry and its architectural design combined the daily newspaper’s administrative function with a rear warehouse that accommodated the printing presses and distribution. When purchased by Lovett Commercial, the building had been vacant since the mid-1980s when the printing presses ceased. This presentation discusses the history of The Houston Post, this site, the changes to the neighborhood, and some of the technical challenges adapting this mid 1950s building to a neighborhood asset.
- Advanced registration is preferred however, door registration will be available.
- A minimum of 3 days' notice is required to recieve a full refund if you need to cancel your reservation
- Surface lot parking and street parking avaialble (fees apply)
- Walking distance from the Metro Rail line
- Beer, wine and non-alcoholic beverages provided