Call for Entries: Made/Unmade Houston
Technology, Fabrication, and Design
October 15, 2016
315 Capitol, Ste 120
Houston, TX 77002
Brought to you by the ArCH Exhibitions
Call for Entries
Architecture Center Houston is requesting submissions for Made/Unmade Houston: Technology, Fabrication, and Design an exhibit featuring local designers, craftsmen, materials and products being made in Houston. This call is open to all Houston area architects, designers, craftsmen and students working individually or in firms.
Made/Unmade Houston: Technology, Fabrication, and Design is an exhibition and series of public programs connecting and promoting Houston designers and craftsmen and their work. The project will include furniture, objects and products designed and fabricated in Houston, with an emphasis on materials, process and craftsmanship. Narratives exploring the concepts as well as history, place and personalities behind the work will be included in graphic displays, videos, panel discussions, site tours and studio visits.
Categories for Submissions
1. Made: Completed Work from the past 5 years
2. Unmade: “On the Boards” work not yet completed.
3. Unmade to Made: 5 Unmade projects will be selected by a separate jury to be fabricated for the exhibition. All entries in this category will receive feedback from the jury on their unmade designs. 10 finalists will meet with the jury for an interview to determine feasibility and readiness for fabrication. This category is open to students and professionals with an eye for emerging designers on the threshold of design and fabrication. Deadline for category 3 has passed.
1. Each firm or individual may enter up to 3 projects in each category.
2. Register your entries online at aiahouston.org, download and complete the submission forms for each project and then upload to the document services link provided in the form.
3. You will be allowed up to 3 images for each entry, a 250 word project or product description. Unmade to Made entrants will be asked to include a one page CV or bio.
4. Work will be selected based on the following design criteria: technique, fabrication process, innovation, materiality, and use.
Submitting your entries
1. Complete the submission registration form for each project and save as a pdf.
2. Create an AIA Houston website account by clicking on "Login" at the top of right of any AIA Houston website page. There are no fees for submitting your work.
3. Visit the AIA Houston document upload service and submit the completed registration form and a single pdf document file (with images, description and CV/bio if applicable) for each entry. You must be logged in to the AIA Houston website to view the document upload page.
June 1, 2016 Call for submissions is open
Sept 16, 2016 Deadline for Made to Unmade project submissions. 5:00pm CST
Oct 1–8, 2016 Top 10 Finalist Interviews for Made to Unmade projects. Winners announced after the interviews are completed.
Oct 15, 2016–Feb 13, 2017 Top 5 Made to Unmade projects fabricated. Designers receive resources, mentoring and assistance in fabricating their projects/products.
Oct 15, 2016 Deadline for Made and Unmade professional submissions. 5:00pm CST
Nov 5, 2016 Notification of selected Made and Unmade submissions
Feb 13–20, 2017 Deadline for delivery of all exhibit items to ArCH
Feb 27–Mar 15, 2017 Exhibit installation
Mar 16–Jun 30, 2017 Exhibition on view at Architecture Center Houston. Includes tours, workshops and public programs.
Please direct any questions to Mat Wolff at email@example.com or 713-520-0155.
This project is supported in part by an award from the National Endowment for the Arts and by a grant from the City of Houston through the Houston Arts Alliance.