Collegiate Scholarship and Mentorship Program
September 13, 2023
902 Commerce St
Houston, TX 77002
Brought to you by the Latinos in Architecture
The Latinos in Architecture (LiA) collegiate mentorship and scholarship program, through AIA Houston and Architecture Center Houston, is a professional network provided to students intended to bridge the gap between collegiate students and professionals in the Latino architecture community. The mentorship and scholarship program matches college students pursuing a career path in architecture with a mentor that has an established career in architecture.
Join the Latinos in Architecture Commitee on Wednesday, September 13 to learn more about the program and meet the mentors!
The program is open to all Latino architecture students in a NAAB-accredited undergraduate program within the Houston area. The program is for Latino students who are striving to influence the future of the built environment and the architecture profession.
- The program is open to both US citizens and foreign students.
- Students eligible for the mentorship and scholarship program:
- a first-fourth year undergraduate student in a NAAB-accredited architecture degree program at the University of Houston, Rice University, or Prairie View A&M University
Students eligible for the mentorship program ONLY:
- a fifth year undergraduate or grad student in a NAAB-accredited architecture degree program at the University of Houston, Rice University, or Prairie View A&M University
The 2022-2023 program begins in September 2022 and concludes in May 2023.
Students must participate in the following activities to be considered for the scholarship. These activities are meant to support and complement the student’s academic career.
- Students will meet once a month with an assigned mentor during the fall and spring semesters. These meetings are meant to be an open discussion about the architecture profession and to help guide the student’s career path. These one-on-one relationships will be primarily driven by the student.
- Students will be asked to participate in the kick-off event and meet the mentors.
- Students will be asked to participate in a portfolio review organized by the LiA Committee.
- Students are encouraged to share and practice their portfolio presentations with their mentors.
- Students are asked to attend three LiA, AIAH, TSA or HNOMA sponsored events
- Students are asked to attend their university or college career fair.
- Students are asked to submit a PDF on a project or portfolio at the end of the Fall semester.
- Students are asked to submit a 10-minute video on a project or portfolio at the end of the Spring semester. The video should not be a recording of a class crit.
Scholarships will be award based on student participation in the program and their end of the semester portfolio presentations.