Sketching Class Series: Urban Parks
With Kids + Architecture
March 7, 2020
9:30 AM - 12:00 PM
1600 McKinney St
Houston, TX 77010
Brought to you by the Kids + Architecture
The Architecture Center Houston's (ArCH) Kids + Architecture committee invite you to join us for the 2020 Sketching Class Series: Urban Parks. This year, the committee is offering four sessions exploring Houston’s urban parks. From Beihai Park in Beijing to Central Park in New York City, urban parks have become the object of fascination and desire for many urban communities across the country and the world. Not only are urban parks a relief from the hardscapes that is prevalent in most urban environments, but it also offers opportunities for both passive and active recreation and reflection. Urban neighborhoods utilize urban parks as a powerful tool to improve the lives of those inhabiting those spaces. So come join us as we explore several of Houston’s urban outdoor playgrounds and their surrounding environments.
Exploring Discovery Green on Saturday, March 7, 9:30am-noon
Since its opening in 2008, the green space has created a ripple effect in Houston’s downtown transformation. The area started out as a high-end residential neighborhood in the 19th century, but it became industrial after Union Station (now Minute Maid Park) opened in 1911. In the 1970s, the area become one of many parking lots between the Convention Center and Houston Center. Discovery Green was transformed into a beautiful and vibrate destination for many locals and visitors. This urban environment received a LEED Gold Rating focusing on environmentally sustainable and efficient use of resources. In 2019, Discovery Green received the honor of “Great Places in Texas” from the Texas Chapter of the American Planning Association.
Further Information about the Class:
• This is an indoor/outdoor class, so please dress appropriately for the weather.
• Students will work one on one or in small groups with architects to learn and develop hand sketching techniques.
• Cost of session is $25 per student.
• Registration with materials includes a sketch book, pencils, bottle of water and a snack. Students and parents can choose to bring their own materials. The class is open to students age 12 and up. Adults are welcome to participate and parents are encouraged to stay for the class.
• Parking options include – metered street parking, parking garages and surface lots around the park. See Downtown Houston’s interactive parking map.
• Class will meet outside of the Discovery Green Lake House restaurant.
Please plan to arrive early to allow time to park and check-in. Class will conclude at noon. Students will be ready for pick-up or departure between noon. We encourage family and friends to explore the park and surrounding areas after class.
Join our mailing list for future events and more information on upcoming sketch classes.