Houston, TX 77056
Job Post Date: February 14, 2018
The University of Houston in Houston, TX, has an immediate opportunity in Planning for an Architect to manage and provide oversight of the University of Houston's campus master plans, capital and minor project programming renewal and deferred maintenance projects and lead campus development efforts. This position will also manage space planning and develop interior design practices to optimize the use of university facilities.
• Serve as the University Architect to provide oversight/development of the Campus Master Plan, Campus Design Guidelines and Master Specifications, manage pre-project planning for Capital Projects, conduct design reviews to ensure projects uphold to campus standards, coordinates campus aesthetics and function, implementation of campus wayfinding and recommending campus improvements.
• Provide guidance and if requested, represents the Planning Department at the Campus Facilities Planning Committee which reviews all proposed exterior campus improvements for consistency with the Campus Master Plan and Design Guidelines.
• Provide effective leadership to staff in all areas of campus planning including finding creative solutions and acting as a catalyst for change.
• Assure that appropriate plans are in place for the campus, including but not limited to the Campus Master Plan, the Environmental Master Plan, and associated master plans for sustainability, utilities, landscaping, environmental management, way-finding, bicycle and pedestrian pathways, rehabilitation and renewal programs and other University development priorities as appropriate for the University of Houston System.
• Briefs Executive Directors and Vice-Presidents on issues relating to the Campus Master Plan and Capital Project Development by preparing facility reports, interpret rules and regulations for the UH System, Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board, and environmental and other regulatory agencies on facilities and infrastructure related issues.
• Assist with comprehensive pre-project planning for Capital Projects to define requirements and provide guidance for: project goals and objectives; project scope; site; architectural and landscape design guidelines; sustainability considerations; project concept; project schedule including Campus and System business plan and other submittal and review requirements; project budget including opinion of probable cost, expenditure timeline and funding sources.
• Conduct studies and assessments as necessary to support facility planning initiatives.
• Participate in architect and contractor selection process.
• Supervise archives management with maintaining record drawings, building and infrastructure models and data for facility planning, design, and maintenance purposes.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors and 5 years directly job-related experience.
Requires a thorough understanding of both theoretical and practical aspects of an analytical, technical or professional discipline; or the basic knowledge of more than one professional discipline. Knowledge of the discipline is normally obtained through a formal, directly job-related 4 year degree from a college or university or an equivalent in-depth specialized training program that is directly related to the type of work being performed.
Seven (7) years of progressive experience in facilities planning, campus or urban planning, interior design, space planning or architectural design.
Experience working with campus planning at an educational institution, hospital, or similar campus environment. Experience in project management on a broad range of major capital and development projects with cost estimating and scheduling, building design and construction. Experience with procurement processes, environmental laws, and applicable state laws.
Requires professional licensing in the state of Texas, or the ability to obtain within 12 months of hire
Salary: $6,661.00 - $8,827.00
Required attachments by Candidate: Resume, Cover Letter/Letter of Application. All candidates must complete an application through the University of Houston website at http://www.uh.edu/careers for Job Posting # STA002302
The University of Houston is constantly seeking talented people to join our team and offers a very competitive benefits package that includes:
• Access to the state-of-the-art Campus Recreation and Wellness Center
• On-campus Day Care Facilities
• Free employee medical coverage
• On-campus Health Center (medical clinic, dental services, pharmacy, immunizations, etc.)
• Retirement plans
• Tuition scholarships and much more!
The University of Houston is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution. Minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Additionally, the University prohibits discrimination in employment on the basis of sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression.