Texas Society of Architects
Job Post Date: February 4, 2021
The Executive Vice-President (EVP) leads the staff of the Texas Society of Architects, supporting the Board of Directors’ strategic priorities as our chief connector, catalyst, and champion. The EVP supports our members and profession, empowers our board and staff, and stewards our resources.
We are looking for an Executive Vice-President who believes…
• Architecture is consequential and relevant and can represent TxA’s architect members well
• Architects are leaders in business, industry, and society
• The growing inequity between underserved and underrepresented communities and the rest of the population must be prioritized in our work
• New ideas and innovation are critical to problem-solving
• Healthy financial management, fund development, and operations are essential to the backbone of an organization’s success
• We are in a period of great opportunity and change and architects’ responses are crucial
We are looking for an Executive Vice-President who will…
• Work as an egalitarian macro-manager who enjoys our work and the people doing it
• Actively represent TxA in the community with a magnetic communication style
• Advocate for our relevance in the AEC (architects, engineers, contractors) continuum
• Inspire others to join us by leading by example and with integrity
• Seek new ideas, partners, and solutions as a relationship builder, steward, and connector
• Be versatile, innovative, and open to doing things in new ways
• Wisely counsel board, staff, and members in strategies and opportunities
• Model stellar interpersonal communication skills through inclusive problem-solving and transparent decision-making
As a catalyst…
• Collaborate with the board and empower the staff, lifting others up in their work for TxA and delivering on the strategic plan
• Steer our business model towards new opportunities to reach our goals as a forward-looking, future-oriented thinker
• Surface issues and challenges, differentiating between blips and trends, to successfully resolve problems and navigate TxA’s work
• Communicate the value of TxA, inspiring/motivating architects and our 18 local AIA components to engage meaningfully in TxA’s activities
As a connector…
• Leverage leadership and relationships to build bridges and opportunities
• Build and advocate for inclusive, welcoming, equity-driven solutions to support our three pillars of education, advocacy, and engagement
• Confidently facilitate relationships with local components to strengthen our work statewide
• Develop authentic connections through regular travel (30+ trips/year when safe to do so)
• Strengthen relationships and confidence of board, staff, and members through transparent decision-making
As a champion…
• Advocate for the value and persistent relevance of the organization and the profession
• Respectfully invite and consider diverse ideas to address injustices, leverage our expertise and resources, and viably expand our impact
• Carefully manage financial resources through risk management, budgeting, audit, and compliance
• Enthusiastically support Board of Directors’ vision, working closely with the eight-member Executive Committee as a trusted guide and advisor
• Motivate and sustain talented staff, supervising senior specialists in advocacy and governmental relations, finance, and our foundation, as well as the Editor of Texas Architect
We are looking for an Executive Vice-President who has experience…
• Responsibly stewarding an organization’s financial operations and logistics
• Welcoming, inspiring, and sustaining staff and volunteer leaders with diverse perspectives and experiences
• Assessing business models and structures for appropriate pivots and opportunities — and successfully creating and building revenue models and streams
• Working strategically within nonprofit organizations as a leader and manager and is fluent with nonprofit functions
If you are ready to leverage your skills and experiences on behalf of the Texas Society of Architects, please apply online at http://bit.ly/ApplyTxA. When you get to the site, please upload PDFs of your cover letter and resume as part of the online application.
Applications are due by February 25, 2021, for priority consideration. We’ll follow up with candidates shortly thereafter.
* * * * *
About the Texas Society of Architects:
The Texas Society of Architects (TxA) was founded in 1939 as the state component of the American Institute of Architects. As a 501(c)(6) professional membership organization of approximately 7,500 architects, TxA is the voice for Texas architecture, supporting the creation of safe, beautiful, sustainable environments. TxA advances Texas architecture, the architectural profession, and the power of design through advocacy, knowledge, and communication.
TxA works on behalf of Texas architects to ensure they are broadly represented and are recognized as creative and innovative leaders for the built environment. Headquartered in Austin, TxA is the third largest regional component of AIA National and host of 18 local AIA components. The Executive Vice-President is the TxA’s senior staff member.
TxA is a catalyst for collaboration and diversity, governed by a 24-member Board of Directors, stewarded by 14 staff members, and driven by a set of actively engaged committees. Our membership model and annual conference (which was virtual in 2020) are the primary fuel for TxA’s $3 million annual budget. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, TxA also is the organizational home of the Texas Architects Committee political action organization and the Texas Architectural Foundation, which provides scholarships to students at Texas schools of architecture, and the publisher of Texas Architect, a bimonthly magazine, each of which are driven by a senior member of the TxA staff team.
TxA is excited to welcome a new Executive Vice-President to shepherd us into the future.