Austin, TX 78704
Job Post Date: September 20, 2017
Project Design Manager
studioSIX5, an Austin-based interior architectural design firm specializing in senior living communities, is looking for dynamic Architectural Production/Designers to join our team. Our firm creates exceptional interior environments that celebrate life for senior living communities throughout the continental United States, and seeks only the most talented individuals who want an opportunity to grow professionally and enhance our practice.
Our ideal candidates are the best in their field. They are bright, talented, emerging professionals focused on Construction Document Preparation while able to interpret and contribute to designs by creating the necessary drawings, all the way from Schematic Design through Construction Documents. Individuals in this position will work on multiple projects simultaneously, so the ability to handle pressure, stay organized, and multi-task is important. Candidates should also have a strong sense of self-accountability, high attention to detail, sound judgment and the ability to think three dimensionally.
The Project Design Manager establishes the design concept with the client and President. They ensure each project is on-time, within budget and design scope. This role plans both strategic and tactical objectives on each project for the design team. The Project Design Manager effectively identifies benchmarks and timelines in support of the Design Coordinator and Design Team in assigned projects. The Project Design Manager is in direct communication with the Architect and Client/Owner to relay information and ascertain upcoming changes. This role focuses on supporting the team, Construction Administration & Quality Control through careful planning, understanding industry best practices, and individual career development. The Project Design Manager is responsible for facilitating communication from the Design Coordinator(s) to Senior Management.
• Weekly meetings with Design Team, Purchasing Team, and Senior Management.
• Plans and effectively monitors project benchmarks, deadlines, and relays to Design Coordinator(s).
• Participate in strategic meetings with Architect, Client, and Developer.
• Reviews project budget to date with Controller, Design Director and Design Coordinator(s).
• Provides weekly financial reporting to Design Director and relays any financial and scope changes to Architect and/or Owner.
• Daily and weekly project performance conversations with Design Team as needed and provide feedback to Senior Management.
• Ensures quality assurance throughout project life-cycle.
• Maintains project management software for managing project work flow.
• Responsible for design compliance with conceptual vision and project budget.
• Prepares design proposals as required.
• Manages, trains, and coaches all team members effectively.
• Analysis of team performance for salary increases and bonus determination.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities:
• Demonstrates ability to utilize a proactive, innovative and consultative approach in interaction with all Clients, Architects and Developers.
• Demonstrates deductive reasoning, good judgment and excellent communication skills in a fast-paced environment in situations where limited information may be available.
• Exhibits strong presentation skills.
• Experience as an “agent for change” identifying opportunities for new processes, workflows or business solutions.
• History of building and maintaining strong Client relationships.
• Demonstrates ability for strong attention to both strategy and detail.
• Past experience in handling multiple clients with varying project timelines.
• Pro-active planner and forward thinker.
• Ability to use time management skills to achieve goals while working under tight deadlines.
• Ability to work independently and in a team environment.
• Advanced computer skills to include AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, Bluebeam, Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel) and Adobe Creative Suite is required.
Experience / Education:
• Ten (10+) plus years of experience as a team leader or Project Manager in an Architectural/Interior Design firm.
• Experience in Senior Living, Hospitality, Multi-Family, or Healthcare is required.
• Familiar with various project management systems.
• Demonstrated client relationship management skills.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Interior Design or Architecture.
• Registered Interior Designer or Registered Architect.