Saturday June 3, 2017
As of noon today, City of Galveston and NOAA are reporting progressively optimistic tide and weather conditions for Saturday. Sandcastle will continue as planned.
As of Tuesday May 30th, Sandcastle is still scheduled for Saturday June 3rd. The decision to reschedule or cancel the event will be made within 24 hours of the scheduled event (most likely the morning of the event) based on beach and road conditions in Galveston at that time as well as current weather information from NOAA. We will immediately update our website and social media pages if and when a decision is made. Teams and sponsors will receive direct notice by email to the contact provided at the time of registration. Thank you.
Galveston, TX 77550
Educational Boards Sponsor
First Aid Tent Sponsor
Friends of Sandcastle
Congratulations to all the 31st Annual AIA Sandcastle Competition Winners:
- Golden Bucket (1st Place), Kirksey + Metzger - Smurf and Turf
- Silver Shovel (2nd Place), Gensler + Harvey - Return of the Crawfish!
- Bronze Shovel (3rd Place), Ziegler Cooper Architects - Quest for the Holy Pail
- Honorable Mention (4th Place), Pfluger Flintco - Clash of the Icons
- Honorable Mention (5th Place), Page - 'Tis the Sea-Sun
- Honorable Mention (6th Place), HKS with DPR Construction - Crash Sanding
- Annual AIA College Challenge, AIAS PVAMU - Richard Meier - Barcelona I "LIGHT"
- Best Team Signage, Browne McGregor Architects - Houston We Have A Sculpture
- Best Team T-Shirt, Page - Tis the Sea-Sun
- Best Costume, PhiloWilke Partnership - 5th Element
- The Sydney LeNoir Public Favorite, ASCE Houston - Bowser's Beach Bash!
- Tallest Standing Structure, Kirksey + Metzger - Smurf and Turf
- Best Sports, VLK Architects - Pirates of the Superbowl
- Best Science Fiction, HKS with DPR Construction - Crash Sanding
- Houston-Centric, Gensler + Harvey - Return of the Crawfish!
- Kidtastic! LEGO Edition, Perkins + Will / HOAR Construction - The Truth About Legos
- Best Traditional Castle, Kirksey + Metzger - Smurf and Turf
- Best Architectural Icon, Freese and Nichols, Inc - Mayan Pyramids
See pictures of 2017 Sandcastle winners below and visit Flickr to see ALL sandcastle photos!
The AIA SandCastle Competition is a fund-raising event for AIA Houston and ArCH Foundation as well as one of the top five revenue generating events for the City of Galveston. This year over 60 teams have their eyes and shovels set on winning the prestigious Golden Bucket Award. Firms begin months in advance generating ideas, developing designs, and assigning duties. On the day of the event the teams, stretched along the beach front, meticulously sculpt their piles of sand and work non-stop for five hours.
The judging of the sculptures is rated on originality of concept, artistic execution, technical difficulty, carving technique, and utilization of the site. In addition to the Golden Bucket, awards are given in several categories including Best Traditional Castle, Best Architectural Icon, Kidtastic! - LEGO Edition, Best Science Fiction, Best Sports and Houston-centric as well as best team t-shirt design, best team signage, best costume, and public favorite. At the end of the day, everyone goes home with memories of a great day at the beach filled with fun, sand, and sun.
The event is underwritten by Thomas Printworks.
6:30am Beach opens for teams and sponsors
9:00am Public is encouraged to begin to arrive to watch the competition.
10:00am - 3:00pm Teams compete and build.
1:00pm - 3:30pm Public favorite voting
3:00 - 4:30pm Judging
4:30pm Awards Ceremony
Parking at East Beach Galveston is $15 cash only collected by the Galveston Parks Board. There is no ATM. ADDITIONAL PARKING AND SHUTTLE BUSES WILL BE AVAILABLE FROM STEWART BEACH.
There is no Metro bus service, train line, or rapid transit to Galveston or the event. Carpooling is strongly recommended. Allow time for traffic and parking.
Feel free to bring your own picnic: be sure to mind the City of Galveston's rules and regulations governing East Beach. Visit www.galveston.com/beachparks or call 1.409.762.EAST for more information. Private team and sponsor tents are not open to the public.
Reserve your beach umbrella & chairs in advance by contacting Beach Buddies at 409.443.5103.
Please contact East Beach 1.409.762.EAST or visit www.galveston.com/beachparks with questions about beach rules regarding pets.
Please respect the hard work of our participants by not touching any of the sand sculptures even after the event. Many spectators visit the beach the next day, on Sunday, to view and enjoy the sculptures.
If you are interested in particpating in Sandcastle as a team or sponsor please contact Mat Wolff at email@example.com or 713-520-0155.
Congratulations to Vanessa Poe for designing the 2017 AIA Sandcastle Logo!