Architecture Center Houston flooded during Hurricane Harvey and will re-open in 2018 (date TBD).
902 Commerce St https://www.google.com/maps/place/902+Commerce+St,
Houston, TX 77002
Funding Provided By
ArCH Exhibit Furniture Design Competition
Competition Update March 2018:
Congratulations to the competition finalists!
Paul Kweton, AIA
Danny Rigg, AIA
Each finalist will complete a series of prototypes due in May 2018 for a public exhibit. Selection of a winner(s) will be announced in June.
Call for Entries
Architecture Center Houston is requesting submissions for designs of new exhibit furniture. The furniture will replace the exhibit furniture we lost in the flooding of Hurricane Harvey. The winning design(s) will be fabricated and used at the new Architecture Center Houston. Below is a list of primary considerations:
1. Aesthetics: The furniture should be of excellent design, but should not distract from or compete with the items which will be displayed on the furniture.
2. Function for versatility: Display requirements vary greatly between exhibits. Modular and/or interchangeable elements that allow for versatility in display size and height are encouraged.
3. Function for storage: There will be limited storage space at the new center. Designs that can store flat or otherwise create economy of space are required.
4. Durability: The furniture should be designed for frequent handling and long term use.
5. Fabrication and budget: The furniture should be able to be fabricated locally and for a reasonable cost.
A jury of design professionals and representatives of Architecture Center Houston will choose up to 5 finalists. Each finalist will receive a $500 honorarium and resources for creating a prototype of their design. The Architecture Center Houston Exhibitions and Programs Committee will choose the winning design(s) from the finalists. The winning designer(s) will retain intellectual ownership of their design(s), but will grant Architecture Center Houston the right to reproduce the furniture in perpetuity for use in ArCH exhibits and programs.
Funds for this competition are provided by Architecture Center Houston Foundation, the National Endowment for the Arts as part of the grant for and the City of Houston through the Houston Arts Alliance.
1. Each firm or individual may enter once. This competition is open to architects, designers, makers, and artists in the greater Houston area.
2. Download and complete the submission form and then upload to the document services link provided in the form.
3. You will be allowed up to 10 images and a 250 word description. Be sure that materials are listed in the description and can be easily identified in your images.
Nov 10, 2017 Call for submissions is open
Feb 2, 2018 Deadline for submissions. 5:00pm CST
February - March 2018 Competition Jury & Interviews with Finalists
March 2018 Announcement of Finalists
March - May 2018 Production of finalists’ prototypes
May - June 2018 Promotion & Exhibition of Finalists
June 2018 Selection & Production of Winning Designs
Please direct any questions to Mat Wolff at email@example.com or 713-520-0155.