Saturday, December 7, 2019
Open to the public and free for spectators
900 Smith Street
Houston, TX 77002
Icing on the Roof Sponsors
Holiday Helper Sponsors
Competition Rules and Registration
- Early Bird Registration is open now until October 31 at 5pm. The registration fee is $125.00. Register here.
- The registration fee increases to $150.00, for registration forms recevied between November 1-13. Registration closes November 13 at 5pm.
- Additional materials and tent registration form can be found here.
Materials and Tools
- Teams will be provided one 48” round presentation/ work table, one 8’ x 30” work table, plastic covers, two chairs, and a 10’ x 10’ work area.
- Each team will receive a 24”x 24” foil wrapped base.
- Teams may bring their own base but it may not exceed 24” x 36” in size. The base may not be pre-decorated or prepped in any fashion other than wrapped in foil.
- Each team will be provided with two (approx.) 23” x 17” gingerbread sheets (two standard baking sheets), approx. 2lbs of plain structural icing, peppermint candies and canes, redhots, and gumdrops.
- Teams may bring their own materials including gingerbread. Gingerbread may not be precut into shapes prior to the competition. It must be in rectangular sheets.
- All construction materials remaining in, a part of, or attached to the final structure and base for presentation must be edible.
- Materials may not be preassembled. All construction must take place on competition day during the official competition time.
- Competitors should bring any tools and kitchen utensils they wish to use. Any construction tools determined to be dangerous or disruptive to general competition by event officials will not be allowed.
- Electricity will be available on site at community stations (read: not at team work tables), but not guaranteed and must be shared by competitors. Teams cannot use generators.
- Non-edible lighting may be placed inside gingerbread structures for judging and exhibition display. Candles will not be lit during the run of the exhibition.
- If you have children on your team (12 years old or younger), there must be a ratio of one legal adult (18 or older) to every two children on your team.
- Each team will receive 5 competition aprons. High School teams will receive 10 aprons. All competing team members must wear a competition apron. Additional aprons may be ordered for $10 each.
- Team check-in begins at 9:00am on December 7th.
- Teams will receive their gingerbread, base, materials, and table assignment at check-in.
- Competition starts at 10:00am and ends at 3:00pm. Judging will take place at 3:00pm with awards at 4:00pm
- Each team may present one printed 8.5” x 11” page of information to the judges about their concept. The judges are not required to review or consider this information. Teams are not required to present this information.
- Environment and presentation of structures may be considered by judges.
Team Compeition Catagories
- Gingerbread in Space
- Best Architectural Icon
- Tallest Standing Structure
- Best Holiday Themed
- Best Non-Holiday
- Best Houston-centric
- Interpretation of Materials
- Public Favorite
Sponsors with Event Presence
- Sponsors will be provided an 8’ x 30” table for display with plastic table cover.
- Sponsor tables may not be moved without an event official’s approval.
- Sponsors with teams will be provided a team site for competition.
- Click here to register your sponsorship. Contact Aleks Savitski at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
- No alcoholic beverages are allowed in the park.
- No glass containers
- Street parking is metered in the area, recommended parking is at the Theater District Parking Garage.
- All trash must be placed in the bins provided. No trash or recycling should be left at your site at the end of the day. Volunteers will assist your team with disposal.