Deadline for 2020 Submittals: TBA
*AIA Houston is reevaluating much of our programming calendar as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic. We are working on a timeline for Home Tour Calls for Entry and submittals, and as soon as we have dates set, they will be shared in AIA Friday, social media, and our website.
The AIA Houston Residential Committee will soon be accepting entries for the 34th Annual AIA Houston Home Tour.
New construction, renovations and additions will all be considered.
Eligibility is limited to homes located within the Houston metropolitan area, designed by an AIA architect, and completed within the last 5 years. Architects or their firms must send the submittal. Homes must be substantially complete and available for photography upon submittal.
Architects from outside of the Houston area are invited to submit but will be expected to fulfill all requirements of participating architects.
2020 Selection Committee
Lake Flato Architects
poteet architects, lp
Craig McMahon Architects
Tobin Smith Architect
Eligible Project Types
Single Family Home – Projects must meet Section R101.2 of the 2012 International Residential Code. Outbuildings and Accessory Dwelling Units (ADU) meeting the above criteria serving a main residence that is not on the tour are eligible. For outbuildings and ADU’s, include in the submittal a site plan and photos showing a homeowner approved access route to these structures from the public street.
Multiple Unit Residential (Condo, Apartment, Co-Op) – Custom Designed Units within larger developments with unique homeowners. Model Units or Showroom submittals may be accepted with prior approval from the AIA Houston Residential Committee.
Alternative Residential Projects – Live/work homes with at least 50% of the space dedicated to living spaces. Submittals for other building types with a strong residential focus and identifiable residential function may be accepted with prior approval from the AIA Houston Residential Committee.
A selection committee of qualified industry professionals will review the submittals and will make a recommendation to the AIA Houston Executive Committee. The Executive Committee will make the final selection of homes to include in the tour.
As Houston grows and its urban density increases, the variety of housing options and solutions continue to expand. Consequently, locations will not be a determining factor in the selection process, and the committee will strive to have a variety of architectural styles represented on the tour. The criteria used to select homes for the tour will include:
- Design Excellence
- Quality and Craftsmanship
- Innovative Design Solutions and Use of Materials
Requirements of Participating Architects
- A submittal form (coming soon) must be completed for each house submitted.
- Before submitting a house, you must discuss with and get approval from the homeowner.
- House must be the work of registered architects who are AIA members and demonstrate the value of using an architect.
- Homes are not eligible if they have been on or accepted by any other local home tours.
- Projects must be substantially complete (as denoted per AIA document A201) by the date of submission.
- All units should be occupied, or fully furnished and landscaped, during the tour.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions that can be made. Architects or their firms must send the submittal. A maximum of two projects by the same architect/firm will be selected.
- The home must be made available for photography between June 22 - July 3 so that the photographer can make appointments to visit each house.
- The architect will be responsible for securing no fewer than 4 house sponsors ($250/ea). These are generally contractors, consultants, subs, etc.
- The architect will be responsible for recruiting an adequate number of docents to staff the house during the tour.
- The architect must be present at the house during the home tour.
Submitting Your Entry
Complete the submittal form (coming soon.)