Women in Architecture
WiA meet the last Wednesday of every other month from noon - 1 pm.
(January, March, May, July, September, November)
P.O. Box 66696
Houston, TX 77266
Equity Level [Equity Panel Discussion & Workshop]
Inclusivity Equity Panel Discussion
2022 Equity Series
AIA Houston Women in Architecture 2022 Equity Series
Hustle Up! | Curating Entrepreneurial Paths in Architecture
Date: April 21, 2022 - 6pm-8pm
Location: Virtual / Zoom
The AIA Houston Women in Architecture Committee is pleased to announce the fifth annual Equity Series: Hustle Up!
During a time when mainstream opinion suggests that people must rely on the adoption of various “side hustles” and “level-up” mentalities for personal and career advancement, it’s hard to imagine many paths forward that do not involve the eventual embrace of entrepreneurship.
In this discussion, architects will explore approaches to expanding entrepreneurial endeavors within and beyond the traditional practice of architecture.
The two-part series respectfully examines entrepreneurship by:
- Acknowledging effects of the “Great Resignation” of 2021.
- Evaluating creative ways to chart unique career paths.
- Educating professionals on the opportunities for leveling up and advancement.
- Analyzing the elephant in the room, "moonlighting," and its place in our industry.
- Identifying approaches to initiate and manage side hustles.
- Justin Taplet, AIA, NOMA, NCARB
- Alyse Makarewicz, AIA - AMB Architects
- Amna Ansari, AIA - Associates UltraBarrio, LLC.
- Kathleen English, AIA - English + Associates Architects, Inc.
- Kimberly Phipps-Nichol - Blue Water Studio
$10 AIA Members / AIAH Affiliate Members / Students
Registration is required. Instructions will be emailed to all registrants beginning April 18. A minimum of 3 days’ notice is required to receive a full refund if you need to cancel your reservation.