Young Architects Forum
YAF meets the second Wednesday of every month from 12-1pm
P.O. Box 66696
Houston, TX 77266
Silver Level Design Make Residency
Design-Make Residency 2018
The AIA Houston Young Architect’s Forum Design‐Make Residency is an innovative program that bridges the gap between theoretical design and physical production. Throughout the program cycle, residents will develop their selected project and area of study, culminating in the production of object(s) to be displayed at Architecture Center Houston. The program provides support for up to 3 residents annually in the form of workshop space and access to tools (via TxRx Labs, https://txrxlabs.org/), and connection to other resources such as materials and mentors.
This program is developed and managed by the Young Architects Forum of the Houston Chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
• 6 month membership at TxRx Labs including storage space.
• TxRx classes as related to your design project.
• Group workspace/ storage/ tabletop work surface
• Mentorship with leading professionals in fields related to your design project.
• Material resources based on project needs and available resources.
Monday, September 18, 2017 Submission Period Opens
Monday, October 30, 2017 Application Due (must be received by 12 noon)
November 2017 Residents Announced
January 2018 - June 2018 Residency Duration
Outcome & Deliverables
As part of the program, the resident commits to the following deliverables:
• Work with YAF Committee or AIA Houston staff for monthly update posts about their experience and progress (images, video, word blurb, YAF Connection article submission)
• Presentation on their experience and project, to be held at Architecture Center Houston
• One item fabricated and donated to the annual AIA Gala silent auction
**Please note that while the residency can be used as a broader exploration of materials and/or process, it is the intention of this program for residents to fabricate physical objects, even if only prototypes. **
Eligibility & Commitment
This program is open to all active AIA Houston members (including Associate AIA). Each individual may submit one application. Current committee Chair and Co-Chair are ineligible for the program.
Residents commit to residing in Houston during their tenure and maintaining active AIA membership. Should a resident move, drop out of the program or drop AIA membership, resident will be responsible for fully reimbursing AIA Houston for material costs as well as workshop membership and any other program expenses for that year.
The application package for the residency should include:
• CV (1 page) Include contact information: name, address, phone number and email.
• Statement of Purpose (500 words), including: availability for the program time frame and project
• 10 slides (as one PDF document not to exceed 10 MB) of supplementary sketches, diagrams and photos (may include previous work)
• Two (2) Letters of Recommendation
Residents will be selected by a jury of local design professionals including one representative of the YAF Committee.
For inquires regarding the DESIGN-MAKE RESIDENCY, please contact Aleks Savitski, Membership and Special Events Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org or 713-520-0155.